Rub it off, walk Away

Markum - Philomath, Oregon

Rub it off, Walk Away

I believe in the absence of bullying. Bullying should not be a part of any students experience at any school or anywhere else. I think most people think that bullies are only kids that are trouble makers. This is not true; bullies can be the class president or a school track star. Bullies are kids that make themselves feel better by tearing other kids down, especially when they are around their friends. They will pick on kids for reasons that make no sense at all. The student might be laughing or talking to his friends, or wearing the wrong clothes, or have glasses. They pick on kids that are loners that don’t have friends so they will feel that much more alone.

Teachers have to be aware when this is going on and stop it, to do this they need more education on what bullying is and that it can happen right in front of them and they may not even realize it. Some teachers will tease with them and not know that they are backing what the bullies have been doing all along. This will happen because the student being bullied has been putting up with these kids that have been bullying him, instead of telling someone in authority to help them. The student feels like they are at fault, that somehow they are not good enough and so they are made to feel inferior.

Every student deserves a chance to excel at school and be the best they can at sports or in academics and this chance is severely diminished if bullying is occurring in the classrooms, on team sports; or allowed to flourish, overtaking a student’s school day. Bullying can alter a person’s path in life making them rethink what they are doing and how they go about their day, to avoid run-ins with these bullies. Things like “should I be on that sports team, or quit?” so the 

bullying will at least stop there. Other paths in life that can be altered are a student’s emotional well being not only at school but also at home. Depression and anger easily set in when the student feels helpless, unable to do anything to help himself or others to make the bullying stop. When bullying goes undetected for a long period of time, the bullies get more and more comfortable and begin to do things that can get them in trouble along with others that may have nothing to do with it. They get so comfortable they may come to your house, vandalize your property, or harass your family, and this is not ok. In one big bubble this is what’s happened to me through the last 5 to 6 years.

Bullying is the number one issue in schools around the world that cause anger, depression, and bad grades. Bullying is considered as harassment, and harassment is considered discrimination. Neither of these behaviors have a place at school. Teachers and staff need training to deal with bullies in every situation; protecting every student’s right to an education. For these reasons I believe that bullying should not be a part of any students experience at any school.