For all the Losers

Sydney - Denver, Colorado

I believe that sometimes you lose. Sure, it may sound harsh, but that’s reality. Though the thought of being a loser is often undesirable, I believe that at one point or another, losing is inevitable.

From a pessimistic stand point, I have come to realize that if there weren’t any losers in the world, there would also be no winners. Without the standard of what not to be, it would be hard to judge what one truly should be. For example, a few years back, I witnessed someone very close to my family go bankrupt. When this happened, he and his family were forced to sell many things including their cars and houses. After witnessing this situation, I came to the conclusion that I never wanted to be put in that predicament. In order to prevent the same occurance from transpiring in my life, I promised myself that I would approach each situation that came my way with earnesty and fairness. I promised myself that I would never make any shady deals or cheat anyone out of what’s rightfully theirs because I can not afford the bad karma. You see, I believe that part of the reason why this man came across such misfortune is because of his often rude, selfish, and dishonest character. He found an abundance of his success in cheating others, including my family, out of money. I think that everything that happens in a person’s life happens for a reason and that in all situations, justice will prevail.

I guess that you could say that I support the idea of the “survival of the fittest”. I know what you’re thinking and no, it is not contradictory for a Christian to be a partial Darwinist. In my opinion, if a person tries hard enough, then success is the only option. Sure, becoming successful may be harder to achieve depending on a persons economic, social, or even national status, but that does not mean that success is unachievable.

Without losing, it is also hard to know what not to do in order to win the next time. Sometimes, failure can be a positive thing. Instead of being ashamed of my mistakes, I treat each failed attempt as a learning experience. Plus, nobody is perfect so we all have to lose at some point. Though I do not consider myself to be a flat out loser, I have come to realize over the years that I can’t always win.