Milk and Cookies

Katherine - Denver, Colorado

Milk and Cookies

I believe in milk and cookies. I believe that besides just being delicious, they symbolize more (at least for me, personally). I believe in the comfort they bring, and the tradition that they represent. Although this may seem like a futile attempt to make meaning out of something and boring, the phenomenon that that combination represents will always reminds me of so much more than just their taste and basic nutritional function.

Their importance centers around my family, and more specifically, my brother. Every night, before he goes to bed, my brother eats milk and cookies. He has done this ever since he was young and discovered this delightful combination. Superficially, this act appears meaningless; solely a habit driven by his loyalty to these staples. However, to me, it is a habit that will always remind me of him and of being at home together.

His tradition symbolizes so much more than just eating. It represents the safety of our home. It represents the comfort of traditions that he, and I have grown up on. It reminds me of our parents, kitchen, house, neighborhood, and many more aspects of my childhood. Also, they remind me of the talks I have with him. While he is eating, we usually take the opportunity to talk about our day, tell funny stories, complain about mishaps, and ask advice from each other. Although we have relatively different personalities and perspectives on life, this is the time of day when we can connect and strengthen the bond that has existed between us since birth.

I have always suspected that twins that twins have a separate, and better, bond than just regular siblings. I know that, when I am talking to Gus, I am talking to someone that is totally unique, and that I will never have the same bond with anyone else. Its a bond that makes us able to talk about anything and guarantees that we’ll always be there for each other.

I often wonder if he will continue this tradition when he leaves for college and beyond, or if it will be something special, only for our home. Either way, I know that when I think of milk and cookies, I will think of sitting in my kitchen at night and just talking. I will think of my house and of my family, but most importantly, I will think of my brother, whether he is there with me at that moment or not.