Wynter - West Columbia, Texas
Themes: integrity

I believe that “people don’t have to they choose to.” Rarely are people forced into what they do but rather it’s a choice they make. My mom promised three weeks ago she would stop smoking. I was so young I don’t remember when she started.

Friday night I woke up to the garage door. So I went down stairs into the garage and smelt cigarettes. “Where’s it at mom?” I asked “Where’s what?” she answered. “Come on mom don’t play dumb I can smell it!” I screamed at her. “It’s right here.” She and went back to sleep.

That wasn’t the first time I caught her. When I was in the 4th grade I learned about getting cancer from cigarettes and I told her about it. She promised that she would stop. A week later I found her in the closet smoking a cigarette.

Then again that wasn’t the last time either. On my 15th birthday, my mom broke the promise she made to me just four weeks before. For my 15th birthday, my mom took me and my best friend (leigha) and Denise (a family friend), to the galleria to ice skate and go shopping. My mom doesn’t “ice skate.” Turns out while we were ice skating my mom went to the car to look for Denise’s cell phone. See Denise is a smoker too. So when my mom was looking for the phone Denise’s cigarettes fell out of her purse. My mother having no self control “couldn’t help herself,” and smoked a cigarette while she was in the garage parking lot. When she came back I could smelll it on her even though she “washed her hands and put perfume on.” She says I have “a nose like a drug dog.” For the rest of the day I didn’t want to speak to my mother, but since she was buying me clothes I couldn’t help myself.

The thing is I don’t know if my mom really quit. She says “you can trust me”, but I don’t think I can. What about when she goes to work? When I’m at a friend’s house? Hides the cigarettes to where I can’t find them? I’ve caught her twice since she started to quit. I’ve lost complete trust in her.

So as you can see or read life is full of choices and every choice you make comes with consequences. My mom didn’t have to smoke that cigarette, she choose to break that promise. This I believe.