Jessica - houston, Texas
Themes: family, setbacks

What I believe….Growing up I didn’t think about happy endings to often, especially after having my parents divorce while I was at such a young age. I didn’t know it then but that event that people told me wouldn’t affect our family a great deal seemed to affect us more than I thought. My mother had told me that my biological father would visit every weekend so that we could spend time together, and I being such a gullible child believed her. I no my mother believed what she was telling me was true , or at least she wanted to believe it but I think deep down she new that eventually it would end. That’s exactly what began to happen, after the divorce I had visits from my biological father weekly but even being so young it didn’t seem right, it was as if he didn’t want me in his life, it was as if I didn’t matter. After about a month or two of the cold hearted visits he just stopped coming all together. He had picked up all his belongings in the city and decided to disappear, leaving with not only every item he owned but with my belief that happy endings were still possible as well. After a while I began to forget about him and just thought that it would forever be me, my sister and my mother. I would never have a father who could be their to raise me like his own. Two years later my mother began to tell me about a high school sweetheart who she had grown up with and was beginning to have feelings towards. She began to have a relationship with him and eventually he moved in, bringing three teenage boys with him, marriage was not far behind them. I was afraid of what seemed to be my new family at first because how was I to know that my new “DAD’’ wouldn’t leave me like the other one did. It took me a while to get used to having a male figure around the house but after I did I realized that he was and always would be my dad, he treated me like his own daughter and has been their for me through a variety of times, such as sad times, happy times, and memorable times. I was happy because I now had the person who was meant to be my dad all along. I finally got my happy ending. That is why I believe there are happy endings.