I Believe In Not Letting the Words of Others Affect You

Jillian - 77486, Texas

I believe in not letting the words and opinions of others affect your actions. When you let other people influence your decisions, you can miss out on a lot in life. If every great person stopped when someone said “you can’t” this world would be lacking in so many wonderful things. I once almost let the hurtful, cruel words of others get to me, and now I am so glad I remained strong and let my belief in myself keep me going.

As a little girl, all I ever wanted to be was a cheerleader. When I tried out in the sixth grade for junior high cheerleader, I made it! I was ecstatic- until the words of mean, petty little girls burst my bubble. “The only reason you made it was because the coach is your aunt,” they taunted. They’re wrong! I thought. She’s my cousin, NOT my aunt. I knew that she had no influence on who made the squad, but a part of me was so hurt by their mean words I almost believed it was true. I would come home in tears, believing I was an awful cheerleader and I didn’t deserve anything. I almost didn’t try out for eight grade cheerleader, but my love for cheerleading prevailed and I tried out- and made it! I had improved so much and there were very few snarky comments and more and more compliments from parents and teachers- even a few students told me I was cheering well.

I am now a Junior Varsity cheerleader for my high school, and I love it so much. I can’t believe I almost let rude little comments from other people change the way I see things and keep me from doing something I love. Only you can truly judge yourself, but you can let the criticisms of other people change how you see yourself. If you do that, you miss out on so much in life. That’s why whenever I fall, I hold my head high and let everything roll off my back. In not letting the words and opinions of others affect my life, I believe I have become a stronger person.