Peace of Mind in Doing What You Love

Tyler - Fort Collins, Colorado

I believe in doing what you love. This seems to be my one constant belief in my constantly changing and questioning mind. As a teenager in today’s society I feel enormous pressure to live my life in a way that has no appeal to me. It seems everyone around me is caught up in views of materialistic success. My view of success seems to differ greatly. I believe I will have success when I am truly happy with what I am doing and my mind is at peace.

The search for purpose and truth seems to take up a huge part of my life these days. I seem to always come up empty handed and more frustrated than before. The main truth to come from my hours of thinking is that I do not want to conform to the ways of society and the “American dream”.

You are probably thinking to yourself right now “I was once like this kid. Thinking that I was so deep and thought I knew what I wanted to do with my life.” I believe it is more than that though. In fact, one of the things that scares me most of all is I have no idea what I want to do with my life.

I remember a conversation I had with an older friend not too long ago. He was an avid student and a straightforward kind of person. He was telling me of his plan for high school. He described all of the advanced classes he would take and all the extra curriculars he would be involved in to get into this one college in order to become a prominent businessman. He said “School will pretty much take up my life for that time, but I think it will be worth it in the end.” This may have been true for him. Maybe going to this college is following what he loves. However, all I can remember is how much this did not appeal to me.

What is the point of giving up four of what are supposed to be the best years of your life in order to spend another four years swamped in school in order to sit at a desk for thirty years in order to make an extra few numbers if you’re not happy. Sounds like a lot of meaningless numbers and wasted years to me. I believe true success has nothing to do with money; it is all about your state of mind. In the end that’s what it all comes down to. Why do we think we need extra money? To achieve peace of mind. I simply choose to take the more direct route in doing what I love.

Now don’t get me wrong. Education is very important. I just think that people get way too caught up in the details and fail to see the big picture. To find happiness and peace of mind is my true goal in life. The only way I can achieve this is by doing what I love. This I believe.