I Believe To Be Honest

Julie - Prescott Valley, Arizona
Themes: integrity

I believe that being honest is the best way to go, no matter what the situation is.

I am 17 years old and throughout my life I have always heard that being honest is the best way to get you through life. I am one of those people who can’t lie and it’s obvious if I try to, so I try my hardest to stick to telling the truth.

When I was growing up I would get caught for doing stuff I wasn’t suppose to and try to lie my way out of it, but that always got me in way more trouble. Then I started realizing that if I just told the truth in the first place I would still get in trouble, but not as much as when I would lie, plus my parents wouldn’t be disappointed.

The one time in my life I tried to shoplift I got caught for it. One of the undercover security guys pulled me aside and asked if I took anything and I told him the truth, even though I was terrified and thinking I was going to go to jail or something. He just called my parents to come get me and I had to pay an expensive fine for the merchandise I attempted to steal. Before I left the security guy told me that if I had tried to lie about stealing that he would have called the cops and it would have been an even bigger deal. That taught me the lesson that not only is shoplifting bad, but telling the truth was the best thing I could do for myself in that situation, even though I was terrified to tell him.

There are going to be times in your life when you’re going to want to lie, because you think its going to be an easy way out, but its not. When you lie it will sit in your gut and bother you every day until you tell the truth and let it out. I have learned this from personal experiences and have seen people I know go through it around all of my life. I truly believe that if you are honest with everything you do then you will live a happy life and succeed in everything you do.