I Believe In Dance

Alexa - Westmont, Illinois

Ever since I was a little girl, I had a natural talent for art. I was constantly drawing and making crafts. My mom began ushering me to violin lessons at the age of two and had a professional artist desk installed in my room not a year later. For me, art was as easy as breathing.

In second grade, my best friend Justice showed off some of the steps she had learned in dance class at recess. I remember begging my mom to sign me up for classes right away. Nobody was surprised when I was instantly talented at ballet, tap, and jazz. What did surprise me though is how I felt while dancing; I adored it.

Years went by, and my mom and I moved to Illinois, and I stopped going to dance classes. We had just moved to Westmont when I saw Irish step dancers performing at a restaurant. I was speechless. Upon witnessing the dance, the first thought in my head was, ‘I need to do that’.

I have now been Irish dancing for two and a half years, and love it more than ever. I have moved up levels in competition with many gold medals to prove it. However, at the end of the day I could care less about medals and trophies; all that matters is my ability to dance. When I leap through the air and create rhythms with my feet, I think about the people who lack the ability or opportunity to dance. To me the inability to dance due to physical or other disabilities is extremely heartrending. Everybody should take pleasure in the experience of dance.

I believe that dance is the ultimate form of art: instead of drawing a picture or playing music, dance enables a person to transform their body into art. Dance is quite simplistic because no excess material or instrument is needed; dance is the beauty within yourself that works its way out naturally. I enjoy expressing myself through dance because words are not necessary. There is no confusion and what you feel is how you move.

The greatest part of dance is that it can be anything, done anywhere, at any time. Dancing is acceptable if you are feeling elated, depressed, confused, inspired, bold, or progressive. An explanation is not required and it fills all needs. Whether the dance is a distinguished form such as ballet, or jazz, or just fooling around with some friends, it is completely you. Therefore, I believe in dance.