I believe in Abstinence.

Katelyn - West Columbia, Texas

I believe in practicing abstinence. Yes, I get the remarks, “Girl, are you crazy!” and, “You don’t know what you’re missing out on!” all the time but when I think about it I do know what I’m missing out on. I’m missing out on the possibility of getting a sexually transmitted disease, getting pregnant and living with regret. Once you state why you are abstinent, you get the remark, “but girl it’s worth it, and plus they make condoms so you don’t get pregnant.” I’m sorry but condoms don’t always work, you can still get a disease, and I don’t want to regret my first time. Getting a disease can mess up your entire life, and why would you let that happen when you can simply just say no. Being abstinent not only keeps me protected from many things I don’t want happening, it also shows that I have respect for myself.

I’m 15 and plan on growing up and having kids of my own one day but say I get diagnosed with AIDS from the boy I thought I was in love with. My future of then starting a family would now be ruined because I made one mistake that changed my life. I wouldn’t only be hurt with the fact that I have AIDS, I’d also be living with regret and you should never regret your first time or even your twentieth time. There are many people who don’t get a disease and/or don’t get pregnant but what if you’re that one ‘lucky’ person who it does happen to.

Life just seems so much easier when you practice abstinence. You have a lesser chance of having a baby, a lesser chance of getting an STD, a lesser chance of drama, and the list goes on and on. I definitely don’t think you’re a bad person for not being abstinent. It’s your life and you can do live how you choose. Many of my friends and many of the people that attend my school don’t practice abstinence and I don’t look at them any different then what I would if they did practice abstinence. Being abstinent to me is just the safest thing to do for any teenager in high school, and any young adult in college.

When I do get older and do finally decide to get married I won’t have to worry about telling the man I plan to marry I have an STD. I’d much rather tell him I’m abstinent with a smile on my face then tell him I have an STD with a frown. I want to give myself away to the person I love and want to spend the rest of my life with. It’s a special gift, and it shows that you really do care about yourself and your significant other.

When you’re young, you have your whole life ahead of you. Why mess up your chance now when you can simply say, “I’m abstinent,”?

Being abstinent is what I believe in.