I Believe that Miracles Happen and They Happen for a Reason

Alyssa - Angleton, Texas

I believe that miracles do happen. I have been taught all my life by my parents, family, and other adults I trust that God can and will work miracles. Back then, I had never actually seen one with my own eyes. I took their word for it. They had also told me that many people […]

Themes: purpose

I believe that miracles do happen. I have been taught all my life by my parents, family, and other adults I trust that God can and will work miracles. Back then, I had never actually seen one with my own eyes. I took their word for it. They had also told me that many people don’t get to witness these things but we have to have faith and know that the Bible says this to be true. I was still skeptical until the week of July 6, 2008.

I couldn’t wait to go to Youth For the Nations camp in Dallas. It was the first church camp that I had gone to in a while and I was incredibly excited. The first day we got there we went to the night service and it was pretty amazing. The lessons that I learned from the sermon were very useful but nothing extremely life changing happened. The second day went the same. On the third day the night service message was about the Holy Spirit and healing. Earlier that day my friend and I went to the book store after lunch. We were looking at T-shirts when a girl about sixteen comes up to us and says, “Oh that’s cute, is there one in a small?” That’s when I realized she was deaf. I turned and looked at her and said, “Yea, here’s one. Hi my name’s Alyssa!” I didn’t catch her name, but that didn’t matter. We looked at some more items in the store and then it was time to go back to our dorms. That night at the end of night service the speaker said that there was someone in the room that was unable to hear but God had healed them. He asked for that person to come up to the stage. That’s when I saw the girl I met in the book store walk up the steps of the stage. I couldn’t believe it. I was completely amazed. This was when my faith in God and miracles was boosted beyond belief.

If the person who was “healed” was a total stranger to me, I might not have really known that what was going on was real and true, but because I met this girl and because I saw with my own eyes that she was deaf, it made it that much more real for me. This leads me to say that I also believe that everything happens for a reason. I didn’t just talk to some deaf girl in a book store, I met an extraordinary person that taught me a great life lesson that I will always attribute to her and God.

This I believe: I believe that miracles do still happen today. I am a witness of it. I also believe that nothing is coincidental. Everything and everyone is put into your life for a purpose.