daniel - west columbia, Texas
Themes: integrity

I believe telling the truth is important for many reasons. One of them is trying to keep up with the lies only gets you into trouble. It takes a lot of energy to keep up the front of lies. Once an untruth is told then other untruths become easier and easier to tell. Truth sets up trust. Once a trust is broken it is hard to get it back. The lack of trust sets up doubt and many questions.

Reasons to tell an untruth are many but a few are:

I don’t want to let someone down

I am scared of what will happen if I tell the truth

I feel frightened of telling the truth

I am embarrassed by the truth

I wish the lie was true

I wish I could change what I did

We hide the truth partly because we don’t want to hurt others.Most of the time we hide the truth because we don’t want to get into trouble.

When I was younger I would always find where my sister would hide her Snicker bars in the freezer. The urge to eat them was more than I could bear. She would ask who ate them I would say no not me. As time went by it was easier to tell the lie over and over again. As it would turn out I would eventually get caught and the truth would come out and I would be in trouble. I should have told the truth the first time. Needless to say, whether I do it or not, I get accused of taking the candy bars or the last brownie or open the bag of candy.