I beleive in unfair life but a just life

Lauren - Jones Creek, Texas
Themes: death

I believe that life is not fair, but life is just. Life is not fair because people die at a young age. This happened to my aunt, Elizabeth, was killed by a drunk driver in a car accident. Elizabeth was only 36 years old when this tragedy happened. This tragic event devastated everyone in my family. Her death brought my family pain that I can’t even begin to describe. It almost led to a second death. My Grandma was always a strong fighter, but after my aunt died it seemed like she was letting go. Depression was taking over. She always said “I wish it was me, I wish it was me.” All my Grandpa could do was hold her tight and say “It’s all going to be OK; she is not hurting and she is in a better place.” Grandma knew that in her head, but her heart was in such pain that she would have taken my aunts place in a heartbeat. Could you imagine seeing your child lying before you in a casket, knowing that you would never be able to see her laugh, never be able to touch her or hold her when she was down? I can’t even imagine how any parent would feel to loose a child under those circumstances.

My dad and my aunt had always been close. He told us that often after her death. It was during that time that I saw my dad cry for the first time. Seeing my dad cry, when I always looked at him like a super hero, just shows you what really matters in life. My dad would always say, “Even though I made fun of her, messed with her, annoyed her, or shot her with red berries, I would always tell her I loved her.” My dad would often remind me and my siblings of what really mattered when we were fighting. Being with my family and loving them is one of the most important things I can do.

Crazy as this may all seem, I walked out of that extreme event with a new understanding that life’s unfairness can lead to life’s justice. Yes, my aunt died by the foolish choices of a drunk driver but, did he walk away with nothing done to him? NO! Even though the man received a rather, what we feel, lenient sentence, he will have to live with the fact that he killed an innocent person with his foolish choices. He also not only hurt our family, but his own wife and children as well! That is something he is never going to forget. Just like we are never going to forget Elizabeth. I have always been taught that God has a plan for us, and that when you are done He brings you home. So, I guess that my aunt fulfilled the plan God had for her, and I know, without a shadow of a doubt that my aunt is home.

In loving memory of Elizabeth Yumi Doak Horan.