Sports Release

Ian - Wellesley, Massachusetts
Themes: sports

I believe sports are a release from the world around me, and it is this release that has helped me relate back to the real world in a positive manner.

When I participate in an athletic activity, I become totally engrossed in the atmosphere of the game. It is in this state where I forget everything of the outside world. Sometimes I feel it is necessary to get away from the problems of this other life, and sports are means of escape.

School doesn’t generally make me over anxious, but when it comes to science tests I always find myself stressed out. After coming close to failing the first test of the year, I knew the second and final test of the term was going to determine my grade for the first quarter. It was this stress that kept me locked in my father’s office studying for countless hours on end. However, towards the end of the four days I dedicated to studying, late one evening, I had a hockey practice. Hockey, to me, is much more then an extracurricular activity. It is a haven away from school, family, and social issues. A place where I can go and shut out everything, and only concentrate on hockey. That is why when I got to the rink, I had never been so happy to play and zone out for an hour. It was on that ice where I completely forgot the stresses of school and was able to clear my mind. At the end of the practice I had completely forgotten school, and the test. It was here that I realized I had just successfully escaped the world for a full hour. The hockey rink seemed to be a bubble that sheltered me from the outside. As I opened the door to leave the locker room and stepped out into the parking lot, the pressure of tomorrow’s test had not hit me. It was not until the car ride home where I realized I was going to have to take the test tomorrow. However as this notion crept back into my mind, I surprisingly did not feel any of the weight that originally laid upon my shoulders. The practice had brought me to the realization that I survived practice without stress, why should I continue to worry now that I’m off the ice? With my head clear, I came into school the next day confident. I took the test and greatly improved my grade.

I credit sports for providing me with the capability of releasing certain burdens from my conscience. If it were not for sports I do not know how I would be able to get away from the emotions that I have to deal with from day to day, not to mention how to deal with these emotions.