An End to Animal Abuse

Rebecca - Butte, Montana

I believe that people should treat everyone, including animals, the same way that they want to be treated. As an animal lover, I view my pets as members of the family. They feel pain, and they can provide love to anyone who is willing to take it. All they ask for in return is to be treated with respect and kindness, the same things that most people want.

I believe that animal testing is not only abusive, but cruel as well. Each year, 25 million animals are kept in laboratories and used to test various products and drugs on. Many animals die due to reactions of the products. According to the FDA, most drugs that are tested on animals do not have the same effect on people. Therefore, animals die for no reason.

Each year, six to eight million dogs and cats are turned in to shelters throughout the United States. While many abused animals are turned in to shelters, there are also excellent animals there too. I currently have two cats and one dog that I adopted from the local animal shelter. All three of them are amazing animals and were fortunate not to have been abused. I firmly believe in rescuing rather than purchasing animals.

I believe that people who are not animal lovers should also be concerned about animal abuse. There is a connection between the mistreatment of animals and domestic violence. In most cases, if an animal in a home is being abused, children in the home are too. 70 percent of criminals today have admitted to abusing animals at least once in their lives.

Animal abuse is illegal in all 50 states. In Montana, first time offenders can be charged with a $1200 fine and up to a year in prison; for the second offence, a $2000 fine and up to two years in prison. I believe that these punishments should be much more severe. Abusers should have to spend at least 20 years in prison and pay higher fines for a first time offence, and 50 years for the second offence. They should also be forbidden from being anywhere near an animal without supervision. If the sentences and fines were more extreme, maybe there would not be repeat offenders.

I believe that adopting a pet should be a privilege, not a right. Potential pet owners should go through screening processes similar to the ones that people have to pass in order to adopt a child. If it were more difficult to adopt an animal, maybe people would be more careful with and take better care of the pets they had.

I believe the quote “a dog is a man’s best friend” is true. Animals are affectionate and loyal, and can bring joy to people. I believe the world would be a better place if we could stop the animal abuse.