I Believe in Miracles

Will - West Columbia, Texas
Themes: illness

Several years ago, my seventy-four year old paternal grandmother became very ill and we nearly lost her. My father had flown to Minnesota early that Sunday morning for business and was not scheduled to return until later in the week. Along with my mother and brother, I stopped by to check on her after church. “Granny” was unable to answer the door so we let ourselves in using our own key. She was sitting in her recliner in the living room like she often did, but appeared extremely tired and weak. We poured her juice to drink and helped her to her bedroom so she could rest for a little while.

Later that evening, I tried to call her several times but she would not answer the phone. We decided to go check on her and again had to let ourselves in the house.

She was still in bed, but to our surprise, totally unresponsive. My maternal grandmother is a registered nurse and happened to be with us. After checking her vital signs, she immediately instructed my mother to call 911. The ambulance arrived shortly and transported her to the nearest hospital emergency room in Sweeny, Texas. The paramedics had to insert a breathing tube in her throat on the way to the hospital because she stopped breathing. She was placed on a ventilator and received oxygen for the next two days. She also was placed on a feeding tube because she was not able to drink or eat. Granny was now on life support. Since my grandmother’s condition did not improve, my father and uncle decided to have her transferred to Methodist Hospital in Houston, Texas, where she could receive more specialized care for her breathing difficulty due to bacterial pneumonia.

This was the beginning of a month long journey that tested our emotions and Granny’s will to survive. We were hopeful, yet worried and really had to rely on our faith and each other to get through this difficult time. The doctors were not optimistic about her ability to recover from this illness.

The two types of heavy duty antibiotics began to show signs of fighting off the infection and doctors were able to slowly reduce the amount of fluid in her lungs.

After three long weeks in intensive care, Granny was removed from the breathing machine and feeding tube. She stayed another week in a private room and was finally released to come home.

What started out looking so grim and hopeless had turned out to be the biggest miracle I have ever witnessed. I will always remember how close we came to losing my grandmother and how she was able to overcome this severe illness. I appreciate my family more than ever before and do not take anything for granted. Through faith, powerful prayers, and each others support, I believe in miracles.