Being a Winner

Brooks - West Columbia, Texas

Being a Winner

I believe there are three common traits shared by winners. This is true in athletics, academics, business, and life in general. First is attitude. Winners have positive attitudes and expect to win. Second is desire. Winners have a burning desire to be successful and will not settle for less. Third is work ethic. Winners are willing to put in the time and effort to be as prepared as possible at all times.

For me, these three traits were instilled by my parents at an early age. It began in T Ball. My dad taught my brother and how to play baseball beginning at two years old. We played lots of catch and hit lots of balls to prepare for games. By the time I was four years old, my brother and I played catch nearly every day in our back yard. We won most of our games because we had practiced a lot and were prepare. This continued as I got older and we began to play in league games and on select tournament teams. Because of our positive attitudes, desire to win, and determined work ethic, we often won league championships and many tournaments. I have a trophy case full of fond memories that remind me of what it takes to be a winner.

I feel the same way about academics and always do my best on homework and tests. Hard work, determination, and preparation for school have allowed me to make good grades and put me in position to attend the college of my choice (Texas A&M University!). Competition brings out the best in me on the baseball field and in the class room. I am never worried about a ball game or test because I always try to be prepared. As Walter Payton said in his book titled Never Die Easy, “A winner is somebody who has given his best effort, who has tried the hardest they possibly can, who has utilized every ounce of energy and strength within them to accomplish something. It doesn’t mean that they accomplished it or failed, it means that they’ve given it their best. That’s a winner.”

I believe these words are very true and try to live my life that way. This is how I want to be remembered, as a winner.