I Believe in Fantasy

Jack - Arcadia, California

I Believe in Fantasy

“Once upon a time, in a land far, far away…And they lived happily ever after.” Does that quote sound familiar? It’s the same quote for every single fairy tale out there!

Fairy tales are only one example of fantasy. Fantasy can have many different meanings, like the genre fantasy in a bookstore, or daydreaming in class. I, for one, believe in Fantasy. My definition of fantasy is the “land far, far away…” where I can do whatever I want and not worry about a thing.

You see, it’s all in the imagination of a person, a writer using imagination to write a good book, or checking for the boogie man in your closet. When was the last time you checked for the horror in your closet? He might be back now! Check again.

The boogie man used to be so scary! Now, nobody believes in him anymore, so like many other made-up monsters, he has vanished as well. People these days don’t use their imagination anymore; people just don’t have any “time” for imagining. Not believing made-up monsters like the boogie man just proves that people don’t believe in themselves, they are afraid of being different and isolated if they use their imagination. They don’t believe in themselves anymore. People are more afraid of failing a class, competing for a boyfriend/girlfriend, or their parents yelling at them!

Every time that my parents would start having an argument, and they have an argument at least once every week, I would shut myself in my room and read about a place without yelling, fighting, or unhappiness. Soon, the fight would be over and my life back to normal. How many times has this happened to you? Too many times to count. This is what happens when you don’t believe in that you have to power to stop them from fighting.

Belief in fantasy is like believing in yourself. Anything can happen when you believe in fantasy. Anything can happen if you believe in yourself. Try using your imagination for once. There are two mad werewolves yelling and clawing outside your door! You must pick up the silver sword and protect yourself! Sounds like something out of a children’s book, right? Now, compare it to this one: mom and dad are fighting outside again! Calm them down or you’ll never have a moment of peace again! Sound similar?

Both are easy enough to accomplish if you have the courage and the belief in yourself. Instead of hiding in your room and not doing anything about the fight, go out there and appease the competitors of the yelling contest! More likely than not, they will stop and listen to you, then, you can live your “Happily ever after”, if only for a while.