Learning From Others

Amanda - Stevensville, Montana

As I sit back, I acknowledge other people who are more outgoing and talkative. They expand their personalities from one another so easily it makes me want to try harder to get passed my fear of meeting new people and feeling like a dork. I try to learn from other peoples mistakes as well as my own. Ever since I was a little girl, I always paid close attention to my surroundings. No matter what kind of situation I was always learning something from other people and their mistakes. I always thought to myself, “What would be the outcome if I did this?”

I loved to learn new things and I still do. My dad was always one for showing me and teaching me whatever it was I wanted to know. He spent a good chunk of his time outside or in the garage. When he was out in the garage doing something he liked to do, I would sometimes ask him about it and he was always happy to share with me his interests. He passed away June 2004, God bless his soul, and he still lives within me. My dad taught me independence, responsibility, and how to be motivated among many other things.

We had a farm, and we raised chickens, turkeys, ducks, cats, dogs, and a goat. He showed me how fun it can be to take care of the animals and be responsible. He was always independent and very responsible. He held the same job for 30 years and retired with them. I admire his ambition and loyalty to his work. If there was something that needed to be done it didn’t take any time and it was done. He also taught me how to ride a 4 wheeler and a 3 wheeler. When it was nice outside we would ride around the yard. He was a very determined and reliable person. He never let you down.

Neither my dad nor I were much for meeting new people, but I am slowly getting over the fear. It pushes me harder towards communicating with people around me I have never met. The hardest part for me is I don’t like rejection, there has been quite a few times that I have tried talking to people and get blown off. I really don’t particularly like that feeling, it makes a person feel insecure about themselves. I have seen a lot of people that are smart and funny, but I don’t take the time to let them know they have great ideas or that they are hilarious. It is very overwhelming for me, trying to think what to say or trying to keep a conversation going.

When my dad passed away he left me all of his tools. I have been thinking really hard the last 5 years about going to college for Automotive. I plan on using my dad’s tools when I open my own repair shop. I want to be able to help people and fix their vehicles right the first time. I want to be like my dad and share my interest with anyone who is willing to listen.