Moving On

Chadwick - Prescott Valley, Arizona
Themes: death

I believe that what doesn’t kill you simply makes you stronger. You can’t just sit there and let it control you, you have to get back up and try it again. Life is about making mistakes and coming back from them, and you can never live a full life if you obsess over a little mistake.

A little over a year ago, my dad died of acute Pancreatitis. I thought I was never going to come back from this and have things be the same again. We were really close and it was really hard to lose someone that was special to me. He helped me with a lot of things, and knowing that he couldn’t help me anymore made me realize that I may never bounce back.

It took a while to bounce back, but I knew I had my own life to live, and I had to make the most of it. Of course it was hard to deal with the fact that my dad died with him being at such a young age, but things happen. It’s like God is giving us obstacles that we must get around in order to have a great life. I ended up getting back to the normality of things to an extent, but I didn’t let it control me. I had to realize that nothing will bring him back, and I had to remember that all the time.

If you obsess about something and never move on, what kind of person would you be in the long run? You have to move on, no matter how hard it is, and just face the facts. Things happen for a reason, and it’s just an obstacle you have to overcome. When you overcome that, you will be able to deal with the situation that happened to you again and you will know how to move on. It’s like a video game. When you fail a level, you don’t just quit and obsess that you failed it, but you try it again and hopefully you pass.

What doesn’t kill you simply makes you stronger is a good motto to go by. It pretty much means that no matter what happens you have to overcome it and come out a better person. That’s what I did after my dad died. I know what it’s like to lose a family member, and I will know how to deal with something like that again.