The Power of Humor

Luisa - Wellesley

“Life is tough, and if you have to ability to laugh at it, you have the ability to enjoy it.” I believe that humor has to power to bring people together, build memories, and show us that the bad things in life can be flipped around into good things. Finding people who I share a sense of humor with is something that is really important to me. Whether it is being able to laugh at our own flaws, or at a funny movie, humor gives us a way to connect to other people, and show our true personalities.

Entering the middle school as a 6th grader was a scary and awkward experience. Since no one knew anyone very well, it was hard to know how to act around different people. Being forced to make new friends, I was surprised how fast I was able to find people who I could connect to by our sense of humor. Specifically, I met one girl who I connected to right away as we quoted our favorite movies and laughed at the same jokes. Now, four years later, she is still my best friend, and we share a special kind of friendship, knowing that I can always make her laugh, and she can always make me laugh too.

I believe that humor builds the best of all our memories. Looking back on times I have had with my friends and family, the best memories usually are the ones that make us laugh. Just to name a few, there was the time I fell down the stairs while holding a box of pizza, or the time we got lost on Halloween only to find out that we were right down the street from my house. These humorous memories stick in my mind much more than memories of sadness, embarrassment, or anger.

The best thing about humor is that it has allowed me to turn negative things in my life into positive ones. I think it takes a lot of courage to be able to laugh at yourself and at your own flaws, and that is something that I have learned to do pretty well. It makes more sense to me that I laugh about my terrible case of ADD, and the fact that I have the attention span of a squirrel, rather than being insecure and embarrassed about it. Learning to laugh at myself has helped me become more confident because I know that everyone has their faults, we just shouldn’t take them as seriously as we do.

Having a good sense of humor has shaped me into who I am today. Humor has supplied me with the best of times, and also allowed me to turn negativity upside-down. I believe that everyone must choose what he or she considers the most important qualities to have, and seek in life. Fortunately, I have chosen humor over everything else.