Second Chances

Abdulla - aurora, Colorado
Themes: forgiveness

Second chances

Not a lot of people have the ability to forgive. However, there are still others who are forgiving and believe in giving second chances. This is the only way that people can learn from their mistakes. We never know if they’ve really learned unless they are given that second chance to apply the lesson. We only realize the true value of forgiving others when we are the ones who make the mistake and are feeling guilty and want to reconcile with the person we care about.

The ability to forgive and forget is under-rated. It is the most difficult thing to do when someone has been hurt or betrayed. We all have moments of irresponsibility or forgetfulness or even selfishness where we don’t consider the consequences of our actions until it’s too late. However, forgiving someone for that moment of weakness is hard to do when we feel like we are the ones victimized. Forgiveness requires that people put behind whatever it is they feel and begin a new page with the person who disappointed them. It is not always easy, especially since the result of the mistake can be ongoing and the consequences severe, even after a person has apologized and moved on. There might always be some reminder of the mistakes they made. Tension might arise even after everything seems to be ok. But beginning a new page requires that we see the situation in a new light. We need to appreciate that the person who made that mistake is truly sorry and didn’t mean to hurt us.

It is also important to consider that the person who made the mistake is also suffering and feeling guilty for their actions. When they ask for forgiveness, they are risking rejection and being reminded of whatever they did. It is even more difficult to earn back the lost trust and somehow try to make amends. It might take months and even years for the other person to forgive and forget and most importantly, be able to put their faith in that person. But by giving them a second chance, we show them that we have faith that they can do better—we were disappointed only because we had higher expectations. This shows that there has always been a certain degree of respect for that person; otherwise they would not have had that impact on us.

It is important to know that everybody makes mistakes and that it is a natural part of learning and being human. But we all deserve second chances. It is how we learn in life. The only way to really understand the true value of our decisions would be to mess up once in a while and then learn from that lesson. It is the only way to move on and be able to turn the lesson inward. We would be helping if we forgive and give whoever hurt us another chance to prove that they can do better.