Mother

Elliot - USA

I believe that my life is like a boxing match, sometimes I just have to roll with the punches, but instead of going toe to toe with just one fighter, I have to fight every obstacle in my way of achieving my goals without showing any pain. Despite what the other fighter throws I just have to take the blows and keep fighting back without showing any pain. This straightforward approach is what has pushed me throughout the difficult times of my short life. I believe that this stance on life was bestowed upon me by my mother.

My mom raised me and my older brothers by herself my entire life. Before I even started school my mother lost her job of more than ten years. She wasted no time crying over spilled milk and found a job within the next couple of months. That new occupation was higher paying, had superior benefits, and was more stable then the one she had previously. The solitary negative to this job was that it was located in Dallas and we lived in Chicago. My mom had lived in Chicago for the entire thirty-two years of her life. I don’t know for certain, because she never uncovered any of her pain in the presence of me or my brother, but she must have been petrified of moving that far away from were she had lived for so long. My mom’s entire family also lived in Chicago. It must have been the hardest decision she ever had to make. If she stayed in Chicago she would still have the support of family and friends to lend a hand in raising her two young sons but not the money to give them the life she wanted to. And if she went to Texas she would be able to provide that life for us but have to single-handedly raise us and adjust to a new city alone.

My mom is the strongest person I know. She left everything she ever knew behind without looking back just to give her family a superior life. Now she as raised two fine young men with a great life in front of them because of the life my mom gave us in the past. I have learned that life might throw a few curve balls your way nevertheless you must continue on swinging.