The Power of Comfort Foods

Ashley - Castle Rock, Colorado
Themes: pleasure

I believe in the power of comfort foods. I believe that comfort foods are the universal cure to any bad day. As soon as you take that first bite, all your worries disappear, and you sink into a sense of oblivion. Comfort foods can positively change your mood and allow you to experience feelings that are altered from your previous mind set. They work their magic on any day of the week and can immediately better the outcome of your day with just the first taste. Even the name: “comfort foods” suggest that they are going to be a pleasant addition to your day, resolving any of the day’s problems.

Most find comfort in chocolate cake, macaroni and cheese, or ice cream, but for me it’s Cup of Noodles. Ever since I was little, Cup of Noodles has been the snack that pleasantly fulfills my appetite. It is perfect on a cold day, a warm day, or a day when I am feeling sad; Cup of Noodles warms me from the inside out. As soon as that first steamy bite enters my mouth the stress of the day leaves and the empty void in my mind is filled with the pleasures that comfort foods bring. Whether it is the pulling back of the paper seal or the anticipation of waiting for my favorite food, every aspect of Cup of Noodles is comforting to me. Even those dried vegetables on the top of the noodles add to the ambiance that Cup of Noodles brings, just as much as the noodles themselves.

The reasons comfort foods make you feel so much better is because they allow you to reminisce on an enjoyable period of your life. In those seven minutes it takes to eat a Cup of Noodles, I travel to the care free days of being four years old. The days when everything was simple and my biggest worry was if I was going to get the piece of cake I wanted and when I couldn’t wait to see my baby sister when I got home from school. The simplicity of life as a four year old is felt when eating your favorite foods. Everything becomes easier and you feel as if you are on top of the world. Eating my Cup of Noodles is a seven minute drive on memory lane. These personal memories alleviate stress and bring me back the sense of serenity and minimalism.

Comfort foods are not only good for the betterment of your bad days, but they also are an escape from any emotion you are feeling. If you are feeling lonely, food can be your new best friend; if bored, let food be your entertainment. Whatever the feeling, you can seek help through comfort foods.

The power of comfort foods is undeniable. Through the course of your favorite comfort meal you are able to escape responsibilities, dismiss worries, and eliminate stress. Your mind set changes for the better and the rest of your day is brighter, all thanks to the power of comfort foods!