Cooking is an Art

MaryJoe - Atlanta, Georgia
Themes: pleasure

Cooking is an Art

I believe cooking is an art. Food is beautiful whether it is made simple or complex. Not only is it nutritious and essential for us to live, but it is also a means of communication. For example two people who do not speak the same language can enjoy the same food. The way food is prepared as well as the spices and flavors used in its preparation, varies in every part of the world. There are hundreds of different types of food packed with all sorts of colors and flavors. Cooking is the combination of many ingredients put together with thought and care, sometimes even accidentally. Two different people can make the exact same recipe and it will not taste the same. No matter how hard two people try to make a recipe taste the exact same it will never happen. It may come close, but close doesn’t cut it. Every person has his or her own personality and style. Cooking is very much influenced by how that person is feeling at the time. The way you chop strawberries to decorate the top of a cake may change the presentation of the cake dramatically. One person may simply feel like chopping the strawberries in the easiest fastest way possible and just randomly throw them on top of the cake, giving the cake a fun spontaneous appearance. Another person may take the strawberries and slowly chop them to perfection creating the shape of something as delicate as a flower giving the cake an elegant and tasteful look. Both using the same ingredients, but the style made a difference.

Since I was five I have always loved making cupcakes for my dad. At that age I could manage to get the mix out of the store bought cake mix and mix it with the eggs and water. I would decorate the cupcakes the best way I knew how. First, I would cover it with icing and then of course I topped it off with sprinkles. My five-year old handmade cupcakes were just as good as the store bought cupcakes; they were simply two different styles.

There are no rights and wrongs in cooking, as long as the food is prepared to the chef’s satisfaction and it delights the taste buds of the person eating it. The different types of combinations that can be created with food are endless. Cooking is pure creativity.