The Roller Coaster of Love

Kayla - Marina, California
Themes: change, love

Everyone has their ups and downs with relationships, but I believe that every relationship teaches us something about ourselves. I haven’t had the best luck with relationships this far in my life. I’ve been turned down, dumped, and mistreated in many ways. But you know what I always have in the back of my mind; it’s that I know that my prince charming is out there. I know that one day I will find someone so wonderful and he will love me to fullest as I would for him.

When two people first start dating, the rollercoaster is smooth sailing; the only way to go is up. Last year when I first starting dating a guy named Colten, we were so into each other that we spent all of our time together. When we weren’t together, we were talking on the phone or text-messaging. We liked each other so much and we both knew we were going to be together for a long time.

The next part of the rollercoaster is going over the big hill, the biggest hill of them all including the word love. A few months past and Colten and I were still dating, there was just one problem. He couldn’t say the three words every girl wants to hear, ‘I love you.’ I believe that I really did love him, but for just some reason he just couldn’t say it back, and it broke my heart in half. Unfortunately, roller coasters don’t have a reverse button you can’t go backwards.

For those who get over the hill of love, the next part come the flips. After I got over the fact that Colten didn’t say ‘I love you’ yet, we hit some bumps in the road. We were always fighting about something stupid and most of the time I didn’t find myself happy. We’ve all experienced it, and we’re all going to keep on experiencing it because every relationship has ups and downs.

Another thing that people love about roller coasters is that there’s always that unexpected turn; you don‘t know what‘s coming. A few more months passed by and Colten and I were still having problems. I always felt like he was hiding something from me. I didn’t think he was ever telling me the whole truth about things, like ex-girlfriend’s and things like that. Both of the members should be honest and open about their feelings and express to one another what exactly they are feeling, without trust, there’s no relationship.

Colten and I were still dating and then I found out that I was going to be moving three hours away from him. We both knew that long distance relationships don’t work, so we broke up once and for all. Just four months after moving, I found out that he is engaged. This totally proves my point that you learn something from every relationship. I realized, okay he’s engaged, that means even if I didn’t move, things probably wouldn’t have worked out anyways since he’s engaged 4 months after I moved! This just reassures me that I made the right choice by moving and listening to my heart and my heart said that I should just move on, and that’s exactly what I did.