The Past is the Past

Fredericka - irvine, California
Themes: change, courage

The Past is the Past

I recently attended a get-together with a bunch of peers that I was vaguely familiar with. When we played a name game, I was not-so-surprisingly the loser. The demoralizing, but hilarious punishment was simple: I had to get on the floor and imitate a piece of “sizzling bacon”. So, I was ordered to flop like a gasping fish, flip over when they asked me to flip, and flop around some more.

My fate turned worse when a person I knew informed me that up to thirty people had very well seen my choice of clothing. I was only wearing a camisole, a knee-length dress, and—oh wait—my own extra large pair of granny-panties? It seems I had accidentally flashed everyone a view of my untimely sized bottom.

Being the quiet, naive person I have been for my entire adolescence, I freaked out. I wanted to wear a paper bag over my face, move to Mexico, and maybe set myself on fire while I was at it. I wondered why these things always happened to me. Several days of sulking went by, until I finally realized how pointless those emotions were. It was done. It was history. If I didn’t laugh and move on, the only thing I could do with the memory was bring myself down. I decided to accept that it happened, and treat every day as a new start. The crazy incident actually taught me a valuable lesson. I believe that I can’t control the past, but I definitely have my hands on the future.

Dwelling on the mistakes and ugly occurrences of the past will never change anything. For instance, it doesn’t help when we point fingers at Britney Spears and concur, “Yup, she’s at it again; getting DUIs, shaving her head and getting into all those other shenanigans.” Is it likely that the singer will get a positive, motivational vibe from America’s perception of her, bringing forth personal change? It’s unfair to let anyone define him or herself by what they’ve regrettably done in the past. If you and I continued to define ourselves by the mistakes we’ve made, isn’t it natural that we feel depressed and less motivated to move on?

Holding on to warm memories is a something we all cherish. As for the bad memories, if we can’t learn from them, it’s better to forget them. Since then, I haven’t strived to reinvent myself so that people would know me for being someone else. I’d just be me, and wait for the next good thing to happen.

If I set my mind on what I can do from this day forward, instead of what I have done, I’ll be a happier, more productive person. I believe it’s best to look forward, focus on what’s ahead, improve the future, and live life by the second. After all, I am not defined by what I have done, but by who I am at this very moment, and who I will be at the next.