Kraft is Essential to Life

Angela - allen, Texas

Kraft Is Essential To Life

I believe that macaroni and cheese is the ultimate food. Macaroni is the quick meal that a babysitter can easily prepare for a child; Macaroni is also the slow meal that is worth waiting for on the stove even when hunger might eat the stove. I am not talking about just any macaroni. Not the expensive Velveeta or the homemade from fresh cheese and noodles, or the recipe pulled out of a cookbook that has aged twenty years plus, or the Sponge Bob shaped noodles and Spiderman and Hello Kitty and every new TV character shaped noodles, I am talking about the original Kraft macaroni and cheese. The kind that when it says one-fourth cup of butter, half a cup is added because we do not like our noodles to stick together. The kind that when it calls for one-fourth cup of milk, half a cup is added because we like it creamy. The kind that even when the meal is not finished, when it is pulled out of the fridge for a second go around it taste just as good micro waved as when you first engorged in its taste the first time. I am talking about the Kraft Macaroni and cheese that sings ‘I’ve got the blues’ right out of your bowl.

Macaroni and cheese is not ‘just a food’ that I love. Macaroni has been a lifesaver, and macaroni has been a best friend. Like times when I could not feed the child pizza or hamburgers because it simply was not up the standards of mac n cheese; when I could not persuade the kid to eat MacDonald’s happy meals because they to were not qualified. Macaroni contained the child when I needed a nap. I woke up panicking that I should be watching and paying full attention to my child, and he was still sitting there, ever so happy, content in life, playing with his noodles; but not in a messy way; he was flying the airplane into his mouth, each noodle, by noodle by noodle by noodle. Each single noodle on its own means something to him. Macaroni has been a lifesaver for when I had surgery and I would allow no other food to enter my body because I was still high from anesthesia. It is funny how people with memory loss always remember the things they loved most. I remembered my mac n cheese. All the doctors had to bring was macaroni and I was simply satisfied. Macaroni has been a lifesaver when the boy scouts rang the door bell visiting to scavenge cans for their annual can food drive, and there was nothing in the house suitable for a boy scout. Macaroni has been a lifesaver when its barbeque night and my family and I are in need of a side to tag along with the cole slaw; or when its chicken night and we need a side to tag along with the corn. Macaroni has been a lifesaver when I needed a meal for a date and I wanted to impress the man not choke him with it; and I’m no chef nor do I have money to hire a chef. Just add the extra one fourth of butter and milk and then your boyfriend will think it’s a masterpiece when it only took seven minutes to create. Macaroni has been a lifesaver when I’m running late to school and I can grab an instant pack, pop it into the microwave at school and eat my delicious creamy good as a knew Kraft box on the stove, mac n cheese. Mac n Cheese will never throw anyone under a bus.

Macaroni and cheese symbolizes how loyal a friendship should be in life; dependable, reliable, trustworthy, and consistently man’s best friend. The only friendship I have ever seen is from my very own best friend Megan. She reminds me of mac n cheese; not only because we share stories of making and eating macaroni but because like mac n cheese she is original, heartwarming, and leaves just the right taste in your mouth to satisfy you for a lifetime. It is not a case of ‘a little goes along way'; it is a situation you never want to leave because one is so pleased. I remember when I first met Megan we were in 3rd grade preparing for a basketball game and the only thing we ‘thought’ we could cook (or reach in the pantry on our highest tip toes, besides pop tarts) was macaroni and cheese. We followed the instructions, or so we thought and the result wasn’t creamy macaroni and cheese. Or melt in your mouth, feed your boyfriend on a hot date meal, it was more like soup, or more like water, or more like floating noodles on top of the water. It was terrible and needless to say, we ate peanut butter and jelly. Just like the macaroni soup, our friendship was new. Starting new things are not always easy. We have now grown to be friends for nine years; and just like our macaroni and cheese concoctions, our friendship is not soupy when it should be thick and creamy and our friendship is not or new and shy, our friendship is our original, heartwarming and just the taste we are looking for when we need a lifesaver.

Mac n cheese may not physically speak, but if you listen, and give love to someone, love will come back in return. Megan did not make me love mac n cheese, My mac n cheese experience opened my eyes to loving Megan.