I Believe in Singing in the Shower

Elizabeth - Littleton, Colorado
Themes: purpose, question

I Believe in Singing in the Shower

I believe in singing in the shower. I believe in the buzzing of the water on your head and the way the steam dances across the inoffensive pastel paint on the ceiling. There’s something private to singing in the shower – more personal than the obvious being naked with yourself. It’s the one acceptable time of the day where people feel awkward to interrupt you, and you are left utterly alone with your thoughts and memories. I think many people out there simply can’t stand to be alone, without some friend to gossip nothing to, or some superficial justification (from an equally shallow girl) for sleeping with your friend’s current boyfriend and then calling her the bitch.

It seems the length of showering tells a story was well. Shorter showers are usually rushed people, men and women who are too concerned with making it to work on time to stop and really evaluate what it is they’re doing exactly. It’s almost this denial of problems, hiding the things that really bother them. This encompassing fear of being solitary too long to realize they’re going insane. Likewise for longer showers, but instead of avoiding the alone-ness, this caliber of human revels in the self-pity, the “the world hates me and nobody loves me. I want to scrub my sorrows away.” Maybe if they crank the scalding water up a little higher? I’m talking about the hour-long shower-ers, not the 10-15 minute people who seem to have momentarily found a balance between themselves, the world, and the scudsy soap dish. Perhaps you seek said balance as you commence with the daily cleansing?

You stand there, alone and naked, as the water trickles down your head and shoulders, washing away the smoke, dust, failed math tests, insults hurled, shouldn’t-have-eaten-that-calories, and the emptiness your grandpa left as a massive coronary waltzed away with him. What do you think about? What song pops into your head? More importantly, will you actually sing? Perhaps you are too worried about inconveniencing the rest of the family; your singing voice sucks, face it. Besides, who sings in the shower anymore, and for that matter, I guess humming and talking to yourself has become illegal as well…? I won’t bring in 1st amendment rights, with the free speech and all that, because the government isn’t going to prosecute me for belting out “Paper Planes” in an unintentional D-sharp. I believe that we need to learn to think on our own, to live on our own, to cry on our own, to sing on our own. This I believe.