I believe that you don’t miss someone until he/she is gone

constantine - atlanta, Georgia
Themes: death

I believe that you don’t miss someone until he/she is gone. I’ve experienced this. During the last couple months this statement has rung through my head almost every day like a church bell. I lost a role models and best friend, my grandfather. To many, grandparents are the ones that bake cakes, knit sweaters that are 3 sizes to big, and pinch your cheeks, which hurt’s by the way, but to me they were more. The last thing he said to me was “ I’ll see you in two weeks buddy”. When I saw him next it wasn’t the greeting I expected. During this time there were tears, broken hearts, and emptiness. The leading light that soothed some pain, was the presence of loved ones and friends. He would have liked that. Day’s after the service we went back to the way it was, or at least we tried. I spent time with my grandmother, my aunt, and uncle over the next week or so and it felt as if there was always an empty chair in each room that couldn’t be filled. One day I was setting the table and I set an extra place setting for him, without knowing. We all sat down and looked at it and we all just laughed. All these years I spent time with my grandfather I just took it for granted, that he would always be around and that he would be there for me. I didn’t think that that some day he wouldn’t pick up the phone when I called. This is different then loosing a toy or a material item, It’s something that will always be lost and never replaced, no matter the amount of prayer or hope, this I believe.