Eleni - Los Alamitos, California

I believe that trust is the most powerful force in the world; without trust, you cannot achieve love or happiness. Trust is both exceedingly strong and very fragile simultaneously. It is strong because there is no end to it; it is fragile because it can break easily. Trust keeps on building and eventually gets to a point where it is unbearable and one person could trust another with their life. However, anyone could break trust by letting someone down, hurting them, or even getting in trouble. Trust is very hard to build back up once it gets broken. Love, on the other hand, is much harder to break. People get second chances no matter what they did because the other does not want to let them go. Love is not necessarily easy to rebuild but a lot easier than trust. Many people define trust as the reliance on the integrity, strength, ability, surety, of a person or thing.

I have been told a story where a little child, around two years old, trusts her whole life in her aunt. The baby will literally crawl off the bed and expect her aunt will catch her even if she is on the opposite side of the room. Each time her aunt comes into the room, the baby’s face lights up and a big smirk emerges. At that moment, you could tell the baby was thrilled to see her and eager to play a fun new game. Whenever they are together, they have loads of enjoyment playing different games or singing different songs. Because of the baby’s trust in her aunt, the aunt can play anything, do anything to the baby and the baby will forever be happy.

No other feeling is as strong as trust. If love was stronger than trust then why do we cheat; if faith was stronger than trust than why doesn’t everyone believe; if hope was stronger than trust then why do they say “Don’t let your hopes get crushed;” if courage was stronger than trust then why is the lion cowardly?

In the end, trust triumphs over all the other emotions. Trust could be the difference between life and death; the difference between knowing and not knowing; the difference between faith and fear; the difference between security and anxiety. As Walter Anderson quotes: “We’re never so vulnerable than when we trust someone-but paradoxically, if we cannot trust, neither can we find love or joy.” As Anderson said, trust is the base to any other emotion. Trust is everything and is in everyone.