Everyone is special in their own way

Monica - whitestone, New York
Themes: humanism

I believe that everyone’s special in their own way. People in the real world don’t accept people for who they are. I learned to accept. A stranger actually taught me that when I was 11. It was unexpected.

My aunt and I went to buy a puppy. We picked one out and bought the puppy. My aunt told me that she was going to get the car. I was waiting and there were 9 puppies left. I spotted one that was trying to play with the others. It couldn’t actually play with the others because it had a bad leg. I asked her about that puppy and she told me that it had a bad leg and that it was handicapped.

One man had been standing next to me throughout the whole conversation. Then all of a sudden he asked as he smiled “Can I have that one?” and he pointed to the puppy that was handicapped. For a second I was going to ask him why he wanted that one when there were so many other ones that were strong and healthy but the lady talked away. “Just to let you know, in case you change your mind. That puppy is handicapped and has a bad leg he’s cheaper than the other ones. If you want to take a look at the other puppies I’ll be more than glad to help you.”

He then said as he showed her his leg “I have a bad leg too, don’t worry I won’t change my mind. I still want that one.” There was no bottom half of his leg. There was a brace connected to half his leg. The lady looked somewhat shocked and told him she would be right back. I smiled at him and walked out of the house thinking about what had happened.

That’s when I learned that everyone is special in their own way. Everyone has a unique physical structure and a mind. Just because you’re a little different doesn’t mean you’re not special. I learned that there are people who are different from others that want acceptance. That I shouldn’t accept them just because I feel pity for them but that I should accept them for who they are. Without variations in the world the world is boring. Everything is dull and everything would look the same. This I believe.