The Power Of Having A Strong Relationship With God

Micah - Brazoria, Texas

“Micah,” my English teacher said as I started to feel nervous. It was my turn to tell five topics about which I was interested in writing for this essay. I do not usually discuss aloud what I believe, especially my personal beliefs. I gulped and gave a sigh before reading the beliefs out loud. Once done, my English teacher asked me to repeat the fourth one. Again, I gave a sigh and said, “I believe that if we have a strong relationship with God, then all of our relationships will go well.” “You should write about that one,” my English teacher advised me. I already had another topic on my mind, but I finally decided to write about the fourth belief.

When I was in the 8th grade, our church decided to start discipleship classes, and I joined one. The most important thing I learned from that class laid the foundation for my belief: we can love because God first loved us. After the class was over, I began to apply that concept by trying to show love to others. Another concept was formed the week before Valentine’s Day while I was looking through a devotional magazine called The EC. An interesting article caught my eye. The article was titled “Surviving Valentine’s Day”, and below the title was a sentence that invited me to see Valentine’s Day differently forever. “We say that Valentine’s Day has less to do with dating and more to do with celebrating the relationships in your life,” stated the article. Soon, I came to believe that statement, and it made me think about my relationships with other people.

The two concepts were merged together as I remembered one of my friends, Nath. Some might say that Nath is the opposite of me, which made the friendship seem strange from the start. Once he said something unusual to me. “You know, I really hate people like you, but I don’t hate you.” I thought that was puzzling. It continued to become weird when he said something else. “Dude, you’re the only freshman that I have haven’t punched this year,” he told me during lunch. I stood in amazement at the statement, when I remembered something. I remembered that almost every time I saw Nath, I showed him love. That made me recall the statement I learned in 8th grade, and other statements that pointed me to this belief: if we have a strong relationship with God, then all of our relationships will go well. My relationship with Nath is living proof of this belief.