Natalie - Parker, Colorado
Themes: integrity

Have you ever lied to your parents and felt guilty afterwards? Have your parents ever lied you? I have definitely lied before, but I never recall a time that my mom has lied to me. For all I know, my mom is a very beautiful, kind, and friendly person. The more honest she is the more guilty I felt. Especially when I am rewarded for being honest with her and I lied to her without her figuring it out. She gives me the respect no one else gives me.

I remember when I was five, I stole a plastic golden heart from my cousin’s house that I admired for its golden, shiny, glittering surface. I had stuffed it in my pocket in an immediate action, not thinking that it didn’t belong to me. When my mom and I arrived at home, I played with the plastic heart, letting it fly around the room with the force of my throw. Eventually, I lost it somewhere in the multitude of my toys. Suddenly, I felt extremely culpable. I rushed to my mom in the kitchen, first lying, but then really informing her about what had happened. Within a second, her blank expression turned into a frown. Viewing her shocked expression, I was terror struck. Then I started to cry. My tears ran down like a waterfall waiting to drown in sadness. My mom hugged me, explaining to me that it was wrong to steal, and together we searched the house.

After seeking for two hours, we realized it was lost. My mom was exhausted, but she wasn’t mad at me anymore. She called my cousin and told her that I had stolen the plastic heart. I stared at my mom, trying to listen to how the conversation was going. My mom started smiling, so my guess was that the conversation was going well. When my mom hung up, I ran toward her like a cheetah, questioning her about the conversation. She told me that her mom was a little disappointed, but forgave me considering the fact I was so young.

So that’s how I learned that it’s always better to tell the truth. Today, honesty is a very important factor in my life. Telling the truth is important because your sociability will increase, you don’t have a guilty feeling in your stomach, and it makes you a better person. I believe that I’m a better person because I tell the truth most of the time.

I believe that truthfulness is the best the best policy to live by and that’s the truth.