Is Faith Real?

Carson - Murphy, Texas

What I believe about religion and God has been asked of me many times. I am

going off common knowledge: God is a divine being that is all-powerful and he tests

us by giving us right and wrong choices. Starting with, if He is all powerful and is said he

can do anything, why is there death, why not a perfect planet with no fighting, no death,

no hatred. I have heard and seen people on TV of the genocides and the wars and the

suffering of people in Africa. I have witnessed murders of people close to my family. Is

it too much to ask for peace from the so-called all-powerful god?

My parents say, “I know there is all this bad in this world, but you just have to

have faith and trust in God.” I know there are things that I can’t see that are there, but

God is such a big thing. If God comes down and shows himself to me, I will believe he

exists; however, that does not change the fact that He has not done anything with his

power to establish peace in this world he so called created. Personally, I am not a

religious person partly because in my particular religion, I always have to participate in

activities throughout the week. First, I think it is a waste of my time and why go if I do

not care for my religion, nevertheless, I have parents who are avid churchgoers who can

make me go. When I go to church I hear the same stories that I have heard growing up a

billion times.

I had a job and I worked very hard, so when I got my first paycheck, my mom said,

“You need to thank God for helping you with your job, you need to pay tithing to the

church.” In my religion we have to pay tithing (religious payment) which is 10% of my

paycheck. First of all, it’s a church that I do not have the desire to go to. How did God

help me with my work? I worked my butt off by myself, and I need to give up my money

for a church I do not believe in.

In this life, all I know is that I am here on this earth, which according to me could have

just popped out of nowhere. I am here and I like my life. I do not know or care what

there is after my life, but since I do know, I want to live according to my morals.

My morals are no alcohol, no drugs, and living my life the best I can. Since God has done

nothing in my opinion, I will hope for the best in this life and the next.