Happiness and Money

Steven - plano, Texas

I believe that money cannot bring happiness; it seems to bring people happiness but that is the last thing it brings to someone’s life. It can buy all the luxurious things that a person could desire but happiness isn’t one of them.

Growing up in a family with seven brothers and sisters was very difficult, especially when it came to money. There was never a time when everyone got everything they wanted. My family wasn’t poor. My parents were able to put food on the table, clothes on our backs, and a roof over our head as we were growing up. The love and support that my parents gave us by just doing that was enough to call happiness.

Money is a great thing to have and most of the time makes people happy but that’s not the same as winning happiness from a person. When I needed something my parents were always there to get me what I needed. But when it came to the things I wanted, it was a different story. Growing up in such a big family where there was always someone around and you never got your peace and quiet was stressful at times. And I couldn’t wait until I turned sixteen so that I could get a job somewhere, earn money of my own and buy the things that I wanted that my family just couldn’t afford to get me.

Seeing my parent’s struggle all my life when it came to money made me a better person. It made me realize that money isn’t everything because I grew up in a very loving family where there was always someone there when you needed them and there was never a dull moment in our home.

The people who are very wealthy and have dream lives are the people everyone wants to be. They have the lives that everyone wants to have and wants to live, but what they don’t realize is that money isn’t everything. People don’t know how to just take what they have and be happy with it. They want more than they can have.

My parents taught me a lot of very important life lessons and I am looking forward to going out on my own and pursuing them. My parents always told me to make something of myself, go to college, get a good job, and live a better life than they did. And with the way things are today, with the many options of getting an education and a career that will make you very successful, it is very possible to live a better life than my parents ever could. But one thing I will never forget, no matter how much money I make, is that money isn’t everything and I learned that from experience. I learned that from growing up in a home that came solely from love and support, and where money played no part.