Justice For All

Imer - Plano, Texas

I believe that law is the ultimate means to achieve justice, the highest authority. Yet I know that it alone cannot protect those who follow it. Justice brings happiness and sadness to those who fight for it. To achieve the closest to perfect type of laws many sacrifices must be made. Lives may be lost, cities may be destroyed, and races may be looked down on when this happens.

I am not so naive as to believe that the law always results in justice, but recognizing this does not diminish in any way my drive for a just outcome. Having witnessed firsthand the power of the law to produce the action needed for change, I know that the people with higher authority are not always right on the actions they commit. I believe in equity for all women and men in the world. Not equality. Equity is justice, freedom from bias, the opportunity to use their capabilities to the fullest. Equality is sameness, one to mold.

I would like to believe every human has, as implied by the Constitution, the freedom and equality so valued by our country. Society becomes more and more focused on selfish success and the acquisition of material goods. Knowing all that still does not affect the way I view society as a whole. I know that to keep people from rash behavior, the law must be harsh and willingly punish those who go against its will.

I believe that today’s justice system has many problems. There are people out in the world who have committed no crime, yet they get thrown in jail or sentenced to death for crimes they did not commit. That is just one the many sacrifices needed to keep the society as a whole. If a persons sees the mistakes of others and gets a punishment for it, one will not be careless enough as to act as the previous person before them. Justice needs to be upheld above all; no one is looked down upon by it, no matter what power you have, popularity, rank, social status. All is nothing before it; we are all equal to it. One of my main beliefs is that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. The justice system may have its flaws but it is the one and only thing I believe in, that I know for sure tries to get the job done so others can have their rights and try to enjoy a peaceful life.