I Believe in the Power of a Good Cry

Jennifer - West Columbia, Texas
Themes: death, family

It had been a stressful week that just got worse when I heard the phone ring. My mother answered it, and on the other end of the phone was bad news. My grandfather had just passed away. First came the shock of no longer having him with us, then anger at God for taking someone I loved so much, and finally deep sadness which resulted in a flood of tears. I cried and cried. Every stressful event that occurred during this past week was forgotten now. It seemed that all of my tears helped me forget all of my problems. I believe in the power of a good cry. Every time I cry, I seem to feel tremendously better. Although I had just lost my grandfather, I discovered something that would change my life forever.

Somehow, I always seem to hold all of my emotions in. When I do this, I sometimes get mad at my friends for something very miniscule. My emotions keep building up until I just can’t hold them in any longer. I get a knot in my stomach that doesn’t seem to go away until I let go of all of my stresses that had been piling up like traffic after a bad accident. The only real way that I know to free myself of these stresses is to cry until I can’t cry anymore. After I cry, that terrible knot in my stomach disappears. If I don’t cry, no matter what emotions I have held in, my main emotion always ends up as anger.

I know that no one ever likes to see any person angry, especially me. I prefer for my family and friends to not see me show any of my emotions except for happiness. Because I don’t like any person to see me show my emotions, they start to build, causing me to become very stressed out. My mother always says “You should cry more, it will make you a happier person.” I believe that because I cry, people can experience me as a happier, friendlier, and a more outgoing person. Letting go of my stresses of each and every day has indeed made me a better person in how I help my community. I am a better leader when it comes to leading my school to success in UIL academics. I am a better mentor when it comes to helping younger children build their own paths for their futures, such as reaching goals that they may make and creating careers for themselves. Most importantly, I am a healthier person that can release my stresses of each day when they become too much. Losing my grandfather was one of the hardest things that I may ever encounter in my life. The loss has taught me a very valuable lesson that crying can truly help anyone let go and release anything stressful. I will miss him dearly, but I will also appreciate this newly found belief that the loss has given me.