Self-Sacrifice in America

Will - Grand Rapids, Michigan

I believe in self-sacrifice and supporting our troops. I believe that what the soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan are doing is not exactly right, but nonetheless they are still over there, doing what they are told. From what I have read and heard, the soldiers do not want to be over there, yet they do not complain. Most would say that a soldier is a mindless being, a robot set to kill. But I know better, and they do not complain because they know that someone has to do what they do. They do it for their country, their family, above all else themselves.

Since they do the job that no one else wants to do, they get insulted and criticized. In the 1940’s, soldiers were given the utmost respect. They were treated better than usual, and were considered heroes. Today they are met with boos and protesters yelling at them for nothing they have control over. Now do not get me wrong, not everyone is like this, but there are more than enough people that could not care less if Americans died on foreign soil. The war may be wrong, but our attitudes should not be. Some people believe that the military is for high school dropouts, or criminals not wishing to go to jail. The military has been given a negative stereotype and the war hasn’t helped.

More support should be given to our military. And I just do not mean more money from Congress. A smile, handshake, or praise to a person can go a long way, and to a soldier it would mean much more than thanks. It would show them they do have something to fight for, and know at least someone, a complete stranger, is confident in their ability to defend their country. I do not know if this war will ever end, but hopefully soon as the new president has said. The hard part is over, now we need to clean up. Soldiers are still dieing, so until they are returned home, more will continue to do so. Let’s show them, as a country, we wholeheartedly support them, no matter what the outcome is.

I believe in self-sacrifice and supporting our service men and women. I believe praise goes a long way. I believe America needs to come together to show who we are, and above all else show our support. Lives are at stake and sometimes it takes a life to bring a country together.