The Brighter Side

Kelsey - plano, Texas
Themes: purpose

I watched as each raindrop splashed against my windshield. Only the sound of pounding rain echoed in my ears, I was content in my solitude. I felt each tear effortlessly slip from my eyes. The sensation from the salty drops slightly stung as they soaked into the hand print left on my face from my father’s strong hand. He was such an angry man, full of aggression and hate. I was his stress ball, relieving him of his anxiety. I don’t stop driving, not until I reach the lighter side of the storm filled sky. As I passed the parting rain clouds, I saw a rainbow in the horizon. From that moment on I realized how difficult life can be and that I must get through the rain to reach my rainbow.

Unfortunately, my childhood memories are not a blur. My relationship with my father was heartbreaking. I remember every detail, every late night I stayed up crying till my eyes were empty. It is not difficult for me to share my dark past because I am so sure of my bright future. I need to say that I do not hate my dad for who he used to be. After everything I’ve been through I am proud to say I am stronger, wiser, and have never been this full of love. I have become an unbreakable and unstoppable force that will one day give my family everything I have.

I have observed that people try and find happiness in their lives. I asked Krisi, a girl who I work with, what makes her happy. She said, “Life”. She is generally a bubbly, optimistic person and the fact that she, “loves her life that she lives, and lives her life with love each day,” automatically sends chills of excitement down my arms and back. I asked some of my other employees what is the key to their happiness and their answers continued to take my breath away. Araya fumbled back and forth with his answer but finally reached a conclusion and I could tell from the smile that filled his face. He replied, “My children then money. Well…and love.” J.P. replied, “Laughter” and Jordan ecstatically blurted out, “STARWARS!” So whether it’s the simple things in life like chocolate and getting your nails done or the more passionate parts like sex and love, happiness is the greatest cure other than time.

Happiness is a state of mind or feeling such as contentment, satisfaction, pleasure, or joy. My definition is that happiness starts from with in me. I believe in happiness. I believe that one day I’ll reach my rainbow!