Forgive and Forget

Austin - plano, Texas
Themes: forgiveness

Forgive and Forget

I believe that one of the hardest things in life is to not only forgive but to forget. It is easy for people to say they forgive but to truly forgive is to forget.

All throughout my life people have hurt and ignored me, and whenever this would happen I had one of two choices. One, I could take my emotions and bottle them up and let them slowly break down, or I could accept what happened and even if it killed me I could forgive them for what they had done and then forget it because even if I forgive them I would still look back on what they did and have it in the back of my mind, but if I forget what happened then I would truly be over what happened and for once truthfully forgive them.

Since my freshman year in high school until a few months ago, I dated what I thought was the sweetest most perfect girl that ever lived. I learned so much from this relationship like the fact that if it doesn’t kill you it makes you stronger; I learned this grueling lesson after I found out she had cheated on me a few times. Once again I was faced with the decision to bottle up my emotions and eventually blow up, or to forgive and forget. And honestly for a while I was bottling up my emotions about it, but I quickly learned that led to nothing but more anger and stress. Normally I am an extremely happy person and can’t be mad for long, and the only way I knew to be this way again was to turn to my only other choice which was to forgive and hopefully someday forget. I knew I would not be able to do this on my own, so I turned to the only person who can take pain away, Jesus Christ. The Lord has helped me so much to get through all of my pain and anger. I can honestly say that I have forgiven her and am slowly starting to forget about all the pain she caused me. I know the process of forgiving and forgetting is extremely hard and can seem impossible, but it is well worth it and I will be happier in the end.