The Magic of Love

Amani - Plano, Texas
Themes: love

I believe in the magic of love.

At sixteen, my life was already falling apart. I was smoking marijuana and using cocaine everyday. I had all but dropped out of high school, my relationship with my family was in pieces, and I had shoved everyone who truly cared about me out of my life.

That all changed the day I fell in love.

A month after my seventeenth birthday, I realized that I had fallen hard for a boy I’d been talking to off and on for a little over a year. He occupied my dreams, consumed my thoughts, and took over my heart. I’d never felt as complete as I did with him in my life, and I did everything I could to prove to him how I felt – including ditching the drugs.

The weekend after we officially started dating, we were at a concert, and I was about to take ecstasy with some other friends. My boyfriend heard my plans, and although I didn’t know about it at the time, he was going to break up with me if I took the drugs. All I knew that night was that the person I cared about the most wasn’t in a good mood, and it was my drug use that caused that. I pledged to quit all drugs, even marijuana and cocaine, right then, and I never went back.

Our love gave me the strength to get through the cocaine withdrawal and intense cravings. He helped me completely turn my life around and set myself down the right path again. Thanks to him, I believe in the magic of love.