The Domino Effect

Nicholas - Deerfield, Illinois
Themes: change, community

I am a normal kid, I guess. I go to school and do homework. That is what I thought being in high school meant. When I was in junior high my brother who is two years older than me, who has physical disabilities, never had any friends over and never went to any social events, even when his friends invited him. The first day of my sophomore year of high school I felt the worst I had ever felt. Everyone, except for me, was going to their friend’s house or having friends over. I went home and talked to my parents about not having any good friends, they came back with the statement “Everyone has friends at school.” I came back with the statement “Then I don’t think I’m part of everyone.”

I was, what I called, depressed. In February of that year I went on a retreat for my conformation called Footprints. It is a weekend long retreat where you are put into a group of your peers and talk about your life and relate it to the six witness talks given by juniors and seniors. On that retreat I gained many friendships and restarted my religious life. The week after the retreat they were having a meeting to start planning for the next retreat; one of the leaders from my group encouraged me to go and gave me a ride there. At these meetings the thing I remember the most was that when you come back and help lead the next retreat it is one of the best things you can do. I was told by many people that because I came back to lead that more and more people would come back after their retreat. I believed in what people call the domino effect, it means when one person is affected by an event, then more people will be affected by the same thing. I have led a total of four retreats since I went on mine and every time I see people from my group come back to lead the retreat after theirs.

I now feel like I am one of the most blessed and lucky people in the world, because of going on a retreat I didn’t want to go on in the first place, I have gained countless lifelong friendships. I believe in the domino effect and I believe that it changes peoples life’s and always has a positive outcome.