The Choices Made

Sarah - Plano, Texas

Life is the sum of all choices.

I believe in an individual’s free will: The decisions nobody can ever control and the right ones that get them far. Destiny is not a matter of chance but a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved.

My father’s life was not a dream anyone would desire. Nobody looks at his future when he’s a child and says, “I hope I become an alcoholic” or “I want to be a drug addict.” Even though my dad didn’t say those things, that’s slowly what he became.

My grandfather was an alcoholic when my father was young. He drank constantly and beat his family whenever the alcohol would take over. As my dad grew older, and old enough to get his hands on any drink or drug, it’s what took him over as well. His life was going in a downhill spiral fast, and he was determined not to let anyone stop him. His choices made him become someone he hated, and he became the person everyone else did as well. Pain is inevitable, but suffering is optional.

Years went by when my dad finally realized something in his life was missing. My father made the decision to try to go to church, and just maybe find what he was looking for and to restore the relationships he had lost and possibly have the opportunity to make new ones. My father turned his life around as quickly as it went sour and soon he met my mother. From then on he lived his life on the straight and narrow path. He still makes bad decisions occasionally, but good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions.

Many say they “had no choice” but they’re wrong. They do, but no one can make that right one for them. Considering my father’s circumstances, he had every excuse to keep his habits and never change just like the majority of his siblings. He could have put the blame on his own father, but he chose to turn away from the things that made him what he was never meant to be. My father taught me to watch out for the situations that will bring me down and to be aware of my choices that will affect me. I know where I am going in life because of my father’s stories and what he has taught me through his life lessons. I choose my downfall and I choose my successes.

He who chooses the beginning of a road chooses the place it leads to. It is the means that determine the end.