Helen - plano, Texas

Knowledge is the most precious gift that anyone can receive. But knowledge can also be the enemy. The most intelligent and powerful people survive by how much they know. The smartest succeed in our society, but some people take their freedom to learn for granted. “A man is but the product of his thoughts what he thinks, he becomes.”

People complain everyday about how horrible the world and country is and how everyone hunger for peace in the future. Why is it that no one is not capable of sharing our experiences and knowledge among others? People all around the worlds suffer and patiently wait for God’s rescue and yet “we” sit around unthankful for all the chances and gifts life delivers us with. If countries wouldn’t try to compete for superiority, then the world could actually progress into something better than a hell hole waiting for destruction.

Almost 25 years ago my parents arrived in America with only the clothes on their backs and not a penny to their names. If that’s not bad enough, they had a 2 month old baby boy to raise and secure with no home, no car, no food, nothing at all.

My parents both juggled two jobs until they could afford an apartment. My mom realized that if she wanted to become successful, she needed to go to school and get an education. She was always the “man” of the house when she was younger and never had time for herself. Going to school was her escape from the world even though it was probably the most stressful time of her life. After she graduated, she worked at a hair salon for a couple of years.

I never understood why she put herself through all that stress when she could have been taking life easier. My mom has fulfilled her dreams and now owns her own hair salon. If she had kept working those two jobs and never gone to school I wouldn’t be the person I am today. She came from a country where learning was forbidden, and she risked her life traveling to America to begin a new life.

She didn’t want her family to live the way she did, so she made sacrifices. And everyday she reminds the whole family of how much knowledge has an impact in the road life takes you.