Growing up

Sarah - marietta, Georgia

Growing up with just my mom I have learned that maturity is a necessity. Without it, I do not think you can survive this world. It is a lesson that should be learned early on in life and one that should be taken with much reverence. I have learned not to trust many people and however cynical that may sound, it is real and it is what we experience in this life. That is how I classify myself, a realist. No fairy tale “Knight in Shining armor” and no “Daddy” coming to rescue his daughter from the monsters in the closet. Grow up. Have that maturity. Know that everything is not going to work out in your favor, but know that it will eventually work out.

I believe that the sooner people realize what the actual world is like; setting yourself up for disappointment will no longer be an issue. I have always relied on myself for things. I realized at a young age that you are not really given much in this world so if you want something, you have to work for it. Without maturity, you will not be able to do so.

When you grow up not having much, with a lot of disappointment, with no one really there to pick you up after you fall of your bike, you understand that you have to grow up while you are still a kid. Dad leaves his family, mom does not have a job, sister is out drinking every night and you are caught in the middle. When life hands you this, you want to think it is not fair. It is. Life is fair and if you do not deal the hand of cards you are given, you will end up with nothing. Being mature is not being able to drive the new BMW your Dad just bought you, it is losing everything you know, and dealing with it.

I am only 17 now but I feel much older. I have seen love fail, and dreams crushed, hearts broken and lives destroyed. Without my maturity and realistic view on life, I would not be who I am today. I may not be the smartest person in the world but I do know from experience that if you grow up at a young age, life will be much easier to deal with.