Soul Mates

Mary - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Themes: love

This I believe, soul mates do exist. I believe this, because I trust that I have found mine. Love… it’s something we all yearn for, even before truly understanding what it is. It is that which artists have tried to depict, and poets have tried to define for years. Therein lies the problem, because even the most eloquent of writers has difficulty describing that which resides in the very core of one’s being.

People spend their entire lives searching for that one person who complements them so perfectly. I feel fortunate to have found mine so soon. Now that I have found him, it can be hard to remember what life was like without him… before I had lain next to a body that fit me so flawlessly, as both big and (occasionally) little spoon. Before I had experienced the exchange of emotion that can occur with a simple glance or a mere touch. Before I shared my deepest and darkest secrets with another human being. Before I found him, I had never truly looked another person in the eye, peering into their soul.

I found in my soul mate, a new kind of love, beyond anything I imagined could exist. We became friends because he was in love with my best friend, and she was too scared to take a chance on him. Lucky me. I fell for him one afternoon when we sat on his couch and simply held hands for what seemed like hours. There was no kiss, no sex, and few words exchanged… just the energy flowing between our fingertips. In the parks and gardens of our hometown we created memories that will one day be fashioned into the stories we tell our grandchildren. Together we built a foundation for our relationship. He became my best friend, my boyfriend, and my lover. Today, I consider him my partner in life.

He is the person that sometimes knows me better than I know myself. He rocks me when I’m upset, and reminds me to breathe when I forget. He is the one person that not only accepts my mistakes, but realizes that they have helped make me who I am.

His hands know and love every inch of me. He is the person I can talk to for hours, or sit with in silence, enjoying every moment. He holds my hair when I vomit, and holds my hand when I’m scared. He is there to support and love me unconditionally. True love, the love between soul mates, does not fade away. It is something worth fighting for and it can overcome any obstacle. I could feel him next to me even when we lived 1700 miles apart, and although continents will separate us in the coming year, I know that our love will only grow, and his embrace will feel all the sweeter when I return to his arms. I have spent nearly a quarter of my life with him, and I plan to spend the rest no differently.

Perhaps Dr. Seuss put it best, “You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” Soul mates do exist, this I believe.