Respect for belief

Robert - Sandy Springs, Georgia

When I was a child, I remember seeing an Amish person. The clothes confused me, and I asked my parents why the man was dressed up so funny. They explained to me that they dressed up how they did because it was their religion. I told my parents I thought that was stupid, and my mom told me “At least show him the respect he deserves, he probably thinks the same thing about your clothes.” I have learned that respect is sometimes very scarce. As a computer nerd who has been on the internet a lot, and has hung out with people who mock religion because of science, I have seen that many people did not have someone tell them to respect the beliefs of others. I have seen many people be disrespectful towards religions not to defend their own, not because someone was pressing it on them, but for the pure sport of trying to make one feel inferior. I never have understood what this supposedly accomplished. I believe that people are entitled to their beliefs whether they be religious or political or otherwise, as long as they are not hostile about it. I have defended Christianity from several atheists who merely want to annoy Christians. Some of them have said they need to attack Christianity because all Christians are stupid and need to be reminded of their ignorance. I know many people who claim not to care, but upon being asked why merely say that they don’t want to start any fights. Blatant disrespect for beliefs is not causing people to adopt other beliefs, so often it is merely stopping them from caring about their beliefs. I’m proud to say that I’m not one of the people who attack someone just because of their beliefs. Beliefs are what make a person a person, they make people unique. Disrespecting ones beliefs is like disrespecting someone because they have blonde hair; there is no reason for it besides trying to make the other person feel inferior. I have always found that people respectful of beliefs are all around more pleasant people as well. I have learned to respect people’s belief’s even if I find them terribly flawed; because just as the Amish person I saw those years ago would probably still say I look rather funny, the people with those beliefs probably see mine as terribly flawed as well.