For the Love of Family

Rebecca - Grand Rapids, Michigan

For the Love of Family

I believe in family. The cooky crazy people who have made me the way I am. I believe the love from these characters have carried me throughout my whole life. I believe in the power of the souls who share the same DNA as I, and the hearts who have loved me more than anything in the world.

I was the typical child who loved to denounce her family and live as a rebel when I was went through sixth to eighth grade. Any rules seemed like chains that tied me down to a boring typical life my family must have wanted. My brother seemed to be the bane of my existence every time he fought with me. I would scoff at the attempts to make me stay at home and watch a movie and maybe share a couch with my mother or father. I thought that was what everyone was like and that was what made me cool. All along I think I knew I was just being a little shit.

High school came and here were the big leagues. Ready to spend all my time with my friends and forget what family even meant. I had a plan in mind and I was sticking to it. That was until my parents came down with the iron fist and began to practice a technique they call grounding, but I call personal hell. My antics would not fly this year so it was time to finally spend time with them. Soon I found myself loving our days lounging by the pool and laughing at my dog rolling down a hill by accident. I loved having my mother to share details of my life with. Civil conversations were becoming increasingly common with my brother and I and we were enjoying it thoroughly. I began to find out more about myself I never would have been able to without their help.

I can tell you my smile and open mind came from my mother, that my love for barefeet and reading in the sun from my father. I can tell you my brother and I will both make the same noises when we’re confused and both shut the world out when we’re reading. Each one of these beautiful human beings have carried me when my legs have failed and stayed until my strength returned. They have filled my heart with greater joy than I’ll ever let on, and I can tell you I would give my family my life if they ever so much as asked.

I can tell you the love in my heart for my family can never be matched. From my experience I have learned that family is the glue that holds us together.