I Believe In Swagger

Phil - 30328, Georgia

I believe that swagger is what makes a person unique.

All through my high school years I would sometimes part my hair down the middle in a very embarrassing way. I would never leave it like that for more than maybe ten seconds or so because it was a very awkward looking. When I wore my hair in this way I felt insecure and worried that other people would laugh or just make fun of me. I would only do it as a joke and never considered wearing it like that for a whole day. Then in tenth grade one of my friends told me to wear my hair like that for a whole day. I told him yeah maybe, but didn’t really give it that much thought or even consider doing it. The next day I decided I would get over my insecurities and wear my hair parted down the middle. When I walked out of my house to go to school my mom stopped me and said why is your hair like that. I stopped, smiled and looked her in the eye and said mom it’s my swagger.

Swagger is more than the way you dress, talk or act. Swagger is to move oneself with confidence and sophistication in a way that instantly earns you respect. Swagger is your style; it’s how you communicate to the world who and what you are made of. It’s how you handle situations and deal with your problems. Swagger brings out the best in me because there could be nothing better than accepting who I am and living how God intended me to live. Not caring what others think about you is the only way to find your true swagger.

Swagger is a very misunderstood term these days. Many people think that it is just something gangsters or rappers appear to have, but I believe every person has his or her own swagger. Swagger is what makes me different than any person out there. Once you find your swagger don’t change it because someone doesn’t like it, because there is nothing worse than a poser. The only person that determines your swagger is you.

When I was at work one Saturday night a group of girls walked in and I looked at my friend and said if I get one of their numbers you have to buy me a milkshake. So I walked up to my register and said may I serve the next guest. One of the girls came over and looked at my name tag which says Dr. Phil on it and said are you really a doctor. Jokingly I said no but why delay the inevitable. A few moments later I got her number and won the bet. My friend said how did you do that and just told him pure swagger.